Thursday, November 6, 2008

Concrete, Caimans, and HGTV

It's amazing what you can do with a little concrete.

Local concrete artist Bernhard Meck's Midtown home will be featured on an episode of HGTV's "Look What I Did!" tomorrow night.

The HGTV show features home projects that were done without a design consultant or a contractor.

"It's about the WOW! factor when people see the results and ask, 'You did this yourself?'" says the show's website. "It's an extravagantly themed wall mural and mosaic tiled patio that tell complete stories, a backyard roller coaster for the grandkids, a personal water park with a series of pools and grottoes connected by caves and channels."

The feature on Meck has aired before, but it sounds like it will be worth watching.

Meck's house is billed as a Tennessee Tropical Paradise, an includes turtles, Caimans, and South American fish, as well as bananas trees, a Mayan temple facade, and a waterfall from a skylight.

"The story of the show is the prototype rainforest vivarium that I created. It is a more elaborate version of an exhibit I built at my former store in Hollywood," he says. "I had over 10 alligators back then and sold them after the L.A. riots to Michael Jackson — yes, the one. He said, 'You have alligators? They scare me, but I'll take them.'"

Jackson could not be reached for comment.

No comments: