Thursday, January 22, 2009

Memories of the Negro Leagues

"Joe Scott: Memories of the Negro Leagues," a documentary in which Memphis Redbirds vice president Reggie Williams interviewed the former baseball player, was recently nominated for a regional Emmy award.

Scott played for the Memphis Red Sox from 1944 to 1949 and was the first African American to play at Wrigley Field. Last summer, the Memphian was "drafted" by the Milwaukee Brewers in a special draft for the surviving Negro League players.

From the Redbirds media release:

"Scott played during a time when some of the baseball’s greatest names graced the Negro Leagues.

'I can’t imagine the impact of meeting or playing against such baseball greats as Satchel Page, Cool Papa Bell, and Double Duty Radcliff,' Williams said. 'It had to have had a tremendous influence on Mr. Scott’s life and his ever present positive attitude to each day that he lives. He is truly a Memphis treasure.'"

Joe Scott: Back in the day

I met Joe Scott one Sunday at church years ago and was instantly charmed. I don't know if he still does this, but at the time, he used to carry around laminated copies of his baseball cards and give them out. I wish I could find the card he gave me — I think it said something about him swinging a big stick and he explained to me that meant he was a good batter.

A Commercial Appeal story from last year says that he had a .714 batting average one season, so I guess so.

The Mid-South Regional Emmies will be announced Jan. 24th.

No comments: